And now, for the second installation of my grateful post! When I think about thanksgiving, I can’t help but think of the passage in Ecclesiastes:
“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace … He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.”
Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8, 11
I don’t know why this comes to mind with the season of thanksgiving – my only thought is that it brings to mind (for myself at least) all those things, those times and seasons and blessings that I am grateful for. I suppose it has always reminded me of the blessings in my life. Here are some more things that I am grateful for:
51. the 10th verse of Isaiah 41.
55. Hand-knit scarves and hats.
56. Firm handshakes.
57. The US Military.
59. Moleskine journals.
60. Ballads and love songs.
61. Random acts of kindness.
62. Mugs that fit in your hands perfectly.
63. Remembering the advice/wisdom of your loved ones just when you need them most.
64. Bare feet in soft grass.
65. Lone guitars.
66. Big smiles from little kids.
67. Playing music while driving with the windows down.
68. Soccer/Landon Donovan & Tim Howard.
69. A world of music.
70. Family stories.
71. Little diners.
72. Trucks and jeeps.
73. Sweet reminders saying “I was here.”
74. The perfect pair of jeans.
75. Dogs that are happy to see you.
76. General Conference.
77. Awesome series of books.
78. Peasant blouses.
79. Fun fabric.
81. The feeling that all is well.
82. Little reminders that you’re loved.
84. Quiet nights in the middle of nowhere.
85. Shooting stars.
86. Long talks with those you least expect.
87. Fist bumps.
88. Inside jokes.
90. Random dance parties in parking lots.
92. Picture-perfect moments.
95. Vintage anything.
96. Red barns.
97. Warm embraces.
99. Ballroom dancing.